Cornelius MAXWELL

Male 1828 - 1885  (57 years)


Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name Cornelius MAXWELL 
    Born 8 Mar 1828  Govan Colliery, Gorbals, Glasgow Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Source - LDS Film #14505
    Christened 16 Mar 1828  Gorbals, Govan, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Census (1861, 1871, 1881) 
    Occupation Coal Miner 
    • Coal Miner
    Died 31 Aug 1885  School Square, Cathcart Street, Govanhill, Glasgow Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Age: 57y 
    Cause: Broncho-pneumonia 
    Address:
    School Square, Govanhill, Glasgow 
    • Informant was John Maxwell, son of Westfield Place, Rutherglen, Lanarksh
    Person ID I271  Genealogy
    Last Modified 17 Jun 2012 

    Father Archibald MAXWELL,   b. 2 Aug 1787, Greenock New or Middle, Renfrewshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 Mar 1848, Gorbals, Govan, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 60 years) 
    Mother Christian RAE,   b. 11 Dec 1795, Gorbals, Govan, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Aug 1873, Hutchestontown, Govan, Glasgow Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Married 26 Jun 1813  Gorbals, Govan, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Certificate as per Scotlands People. Archibald states he was in the Stirlingshire militia when he was married.
    Census 6 Jun 1841  Gorbals, Govan, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F173  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Ann (Annie) TAYLOR,   b. 29 Jan 1830, Larbert, Stirling Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Dec 1907, 11 Haningshaw Row, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Married 4 Mar 1849  Strathbungo, Govan, Glasgow Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • See cert from Scotlands People
    Children 10 children 
    Last Modified 22 May 2013 
    Family ID F171  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    Cornelius Maxwell
1866-1938
    Cornelius Maxwell 1866-1938
    Son of Cornelius Maxwell & Ann Taylor.
    Husband of Isabella Aitken
    John Maxwell (1852-1930)
his son William Delaney Maxwell (1884-1941) and his family.
    John Maxwell (1852-1930) his son William Delaney Maxwell (1884-1941) and his family.
    John Maxwell, William Maxwell his wife Jeannie Johnston and children
    Christina Maxwell
1856-1932
    Christina Maxwell 1856-1932
    Daughter of Cornelius Maxwell & Annie Taylor.
    Wife of John Morgan Delaney or Lennie.

  • Notes 
    • Strathbungo grew up as a small village built along the Pollokshaws Road, one of the main arteries leading southwards from the centre of Glasgow, adjoined by the Camphill Estate, now part of Queens Park. The village never achieved burgh status and was annexed to Glasgow in 1891. Strathbungo lay just inside Govan parish, on its boundary with Cathcart parish, and at one time the line of Allison Street and Nithsdale Street formed the boundary or 'march' between the counties of Lanark and Renfrew.

      Strathbungo was formerly known as Marchtown, and this survives in March Street. The words 'Strathbungo Cross' appear on a tenement at the corner of Allison Street and Pollokshaws Road, but no satisfactory explanation has ever been given for the name Strathbungo, as 'Strath' (from Scottish Gaelic: Srath) is normally prefixed to a river, to name the surrounding area. However there is no river Bungo. "Bungo" may represent a nasalisation of Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow, from Srath Mhungain.

      Strathbungo developed as a crofters and miners village in the early 18th century. By the end of the century, over 35 families were living in the village and weaving had become the principal occupation.

      In 1859 development of a residential suburb to the south west of Strathbungo began, when nos 1-10 Moray Place were built to the design of Alexander Thomson. The other terraces (named, as was Moray Place, after the protagonists in the Battle of Langside fought nearby), Regent Park Square, Queen Square and Princes Square (later renamed Marywood Square), formed a private estate, exclusive enough to have gates. This part of Strathbungo was designated a conservation area in 1973. In the 1890s Charles Rennie Mackintosh lived at 27 Regent Park Square.

      By the 1870s tenement buildings had started to appear, and with annexation to Glasgow in 1891 building proceeded apace.

      Strathbungo railway station opened on 1 December 1877, and closed on 28 May 1962.


Home Page |  Manuscripts |  What's New |  Most Wanted |  Surnames |  Photos |  Histories |  Documents |  Cemeteries |  Places |  Dates |  Reports |  Sources